Thanks for checking out my home on the web.
For the past 13 years, I have ‘managed’ a thriving “benchmark” online community for the Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD).
I am an experienced online community builder and mentor, and encourage organisations to release authentic voices in their organisations, particularly through storytelling.
I’m an award-winning blogger and a contributor to several reports on online fundraising.
Twenty something years ago I managed a successful Blue Peter Appeal and currently advise a number of start-ups in the charity sector.
I’m invited to speak at conferences and to small groups, such as charity CEOs, charity marketing managers and digital engagement teams (e.g. British Heart Foundation, The National Trust and Action Aid).
I feel privileged to work with great people at some fantastic organisations.
In short, I get up to all sorts of stuff I feel passionate about. I consider myself very lucky.
Some recent presentations
If you fancy reading more…
In 2006, I was the first non-Mexican recipient of the Colibri Ecotourism Achievement Award, which is presented to “a leading catalyst working towards ecotourism in Mexico”.
In 2003, I received the awfully prestigious Lente de Plata (‘Silver Lens’) award from the President of Mexico for my writing.
I created two respected Mexico-related blogs:
- After Wilma, a blog that challenged the broadcast model of communicating a destination to tourists in a crisis (makes for a great case study!)
- Mexicanwave, (Ten Best Travel Blogs, The Guardian), which was for many years the independent online resource most often cited in guidebooks to Mexico.
What else? Well, I take pictures. It gets me outdoors. My Mexico x 100 series of photographs has received some acclaim outside of my immediate family and has been viewed more than 18,000 times. You can also find me on Instagram.
I won’t bore you with the details, but here’s a list of some of the things I am now…
- A Builder of Bridges (I make connections)
- Community Manager, CIPD
- Director of Community, Mexicanwave
- Advisor to charities
- or have been…
- School Governor
- Advisor to the National Funding Scheme
- Member, Selection Panel, Innovation in Giving Fund, NESTA
- Partner, Visceral Business
- Member, NCVO ICT Foresight e-panel
- Community Manager at Sift
- Business Development Manager, travel portal (which dot-bombed)
- Charities Development Manager @JustGiving
- Director, Redefine
- Deputy Campaigns Manager, Oxfam UK
- Blue Peter Appeal Manager
- Academic Advisor, Macmillan Education
- Primary school teacher, Mexico (I swear, never again…)
- Official Observer, 1994 Federal Elections, Mexico
- Welfare Officer, Student Union Executive (when I had more hair on my chin than I now have on my head)
I moved out of London in 2002, back to the West Country where I grew up. I live in a particularly flat part of Somerset with my half-English, half-Mexican family. and our dog. Not too far from Bristol though.
You can get hold of me by email: mexicanwave [at] gmail [dot] com